You can report sexual assault offenders to the police, which may result in them being charged and taken to court.

Support provided by the police includes:

  • Legal definitions of rape and sexual assault
  • Advice on how to report rape and sexual assault 
  • Reporting rape and sexual assault 
  • Support for victims of rape and sexual assault

How they can help

The police are concerned with bringing offenders to justice. Trained officers and partner organisations can support you through the process of formally reporting rape or sexual assault. 

Good to know

Please remember that reporting an incident to the police is not an anonymous process. If the police charge the offender, it is likely that you will be asked to provide evidence in court.

You do not need to make an appointment to visit a police station, report a crime online or to call 101. It is free to report a crime online or in person but it will cost you 15 pence to call to 101. 

How to access

To understand the process of reporting rape or sexual assault to the police, please click here.

To report a case of rape or sexual assault to the police: 

  • Report the incident online using the online crime reporting service. An officer will get back to you within 48 hours. 
  • Call 101, the non-emergency police helpline, which is available 24 hours a day. You can also use this number to seek advice.  
  • Visit a police station if you would like to talk to someone in a safe and comfortable environment. 

For additional information on how to report rape or sexual assault to the police, please click here

Visit Police Website on Rape and Sexual Assault

The Schools Consent Project is registered in England & Wales under charity number 1174087 We use cookies to improve your experience using this website. To learn more, read our privacy policy
Log in | Powered by White Fuse